P.S. I NEED TO LOVE ME MORE!
Updated: Jan 15
Ever since the pandemic, the level of uncertainty has skyrocketed. It took an immense toll on every aspect of our life. As we entered the last month of this year, we have somehow found new means to adapt & sustain. Most importantly, let's highlight the fact that the most important thing you did in 2020 is to “survive”.
This year had enormous lessons for each one of us. It shed light on our mental and emotional state largely, - something we collectively have been ignoring for years and finding novel ways to escape them with a fast-paced lifestyle. Lockdown gave us a chance to slow down and get familiar with our unattended emotions. Little did we know was how to heal, what to do with these profuse emotions caving in?
Taking the same track forward, the question - ‘How to connect & take care of ourselves?’ arises. But take a seat while I address this!
Stick with us till the end as we share some easy to implement “Cheat Codes” to ace your pampering game at home the healthy way.
1. Aromatherapy: This has been around for thousands of years. Imagine experiencing the soothing scent of your favorite essential oil at home. Essential oils are proven to have healing effects. Aromatherapy enhances your emotional health and reduces anxiety, making you feel good. Since you will do this at home, it is advisable to use a diffuser and know your essential oils closely (as every essential oil plays out differently).
For eg: a combination of lavender and rose essential oils helps to ease your stress; while Clary Sage essential oil heals your mental state and reduces anxiety.
2. Hydrate yourself the healthy way: The idea is to start your day with a fresh juice or a detox tea to hydrate yourself and eliminate the toxic waste in your body. Taking fluids in the morning helps to boost your level of alertness, and it acts as fuel to your brain. It plays a part to strengthen your immunity system.
3. Mindfulness (Guided Meditation): As a beginner, it’s highly recommended to perform a 10-minute guided meditation. Meditation will help you focus on the present while increasing your self-awareness. It might seem a challenging job to do initially, as your mind will wander often in those 10 minutes, but the simple idea is to bring the monkey mind back to focusing on the present moment.
Over time, you'll not only master to focus but also will escalate your imagination and creativity by feeling at ease with yourself. It's like growing into an evolved patient self.
4. Songs for your soul: How can we miss this? Unanimously Music is an absolute favorite. Music speaks to your soul. It connects like no other. Music does what words fall short of doing. It acknowledges and heals a part of you where one fails to reach. It can make your heart smile. What’s stopping you from creating your playlist? Curate your very own personalized playlist. Dive deep into listening and grooving to your playlist each day. Talk to your heart!
5. Reading to reconnect: We’ve been spending an extensive amount of time looking on-screen. Most of the time as we are super engrossed, we forget to keep our screens down. Come on, pledge guilty already!
Well, it's ideal to track your screen time on a daily basis. Now while your screen is down, it is essential to reconnect with yourself by reading your favorite novel (or a book of any genre).
Always fuel your curiosity with authenticity and not mindless scrolling, which doesn't serve good to you.
6. Watching your favorite series/movie: Who says taking care of yourself can’t be fun? Well, a little screen time and laughter never hurt anybody. Reward yourself often by watching your favorite series or movie after a long day. This much-needed comfort if timed wisely can help to increase your overall productivity. So treat yourself well and often, but just the right amount.
7. Exercise like nobody’s business: There’s only so much written and spoken about the need for physical activity daily that we are very well aware of and understand its significance. While exercising our body releases a chemical named Endorphins. Endorphins are responsible to trigger a positive feeling all over your body, reducing stress, and boosting your self-esteem all the way up. It also eases anxiety and helps you sleep better.
8. Express your heart out: While you're at home, it's always a good idea to connect with yourself and express your emotions. Take all the leverage to express it your way! Be it dance, singing, writing (journaling), cooking, painting, playing an instrument, etc. go on and find your way to express your heart out, your way. It aids to feel a sense of achievement and dopamine flows in your body making you feel good and thrilled.
9. Gratitude for each day: Practicing Gratitude every day goes a long way! Even while you don't jot it down, take a moment to close your eyes and think of 3 simple things to be grateful for. You can simply start by being thankful for a new day, for a perfectly functioning body, and so on.
Simple exercises like these, make us acknowledge the things in our life that we often take for granted. They will also help us stay grounded and shift our perspective to a whole new light.
10. Facetime loved ones and spend quality time with family: Humans are Social Animals. We crave human interactions and co-existing together. And amidst whatever is happening in the world right now, it's supreme to catch-up with our dear ones. This immediately boosts our happiness and we feel a sense of belonging. We feel loved, heard, and seen by them. So never hesitate to ring your close ones.
11. Efficient Sleep: This is probably the most underrated yet significant one. Simply to put,
Better Sleep = Better Mood.
Better sleep increases your health, productivity, memory, restores your energy. You wake up feeling fresh the next day, feeling like the world is yours. Don’t compromise on your sleep. Maintain a healthy sleep pattern.
12. Soak yourself in the morning sunlight: We might not know this, but Vitamin D helps greatly in reducing Depression and plays a vital role in regulating your mood. Researchers found "a significant relationship between depression and vitamin D deficiency.” (Via - health.com)
Lastly, take a moment to pause now and then. Take 3 deep breaths to calm your nerves. It helps make you feel alive.
You deserve all the love. Treat yourself like a star!
Written by - Anita Golani
Your mental health matters as much as your physical health. Don't hesitate to take a step towards your mental well-being. If you’re looking at talking to a professional, book your Initial Consultation with us on https://www.themoodspace.com/freeconsultation or write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Take a step towards bettering your mental wellbeing because you deserve it!